The diagnosis and treatment of childhood retinal diseases is a unique offering at Retina and Vitreous of Texas which many other retina practices do not offer. We realize the significant impact sight has on children and the families who care for them. Two of our physicians, Eric Holz, MD and Emmanuel Chang, MD PhD currently maintain active pediatric retina practices. Many pediatric patients in the Texas region have been treated by our group.
We are able to offer the latest in the diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment, and ongoing evaluation of all pediatric retinal diseases. That extensive list includes:
- Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP): acute and late effects
- Neonatal vitreous hemorrhage
- Juvenile retinal detachment
- Ocular trauma, traumatic retinal detachment and choroidal rupture
- Persistent fetal vascular syndrome
- Juvenile (X-linked) retinoschisis
- Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy (FEVR) and congenital retinal fold
- Coats disease and other causes of serous retinal detachment
- Retinal vascular malformations including von Hippel Lindau syndrome, cavernous hemangioma and racemose hemangioma
- Benign and malignant pediatric retinal tumors including retinoblastoma, retinocytoma, combined hamartoma, choroidal osteoma and choroidal nevus
- Retinal abnormalitites and malformations associated with chromosomal/genetic syndromes and defects
- Optic nerve anomalies, including optic pit and morning glory disc
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases affecting the retina and choroid in children
- Neovascularization of the retina and choroid, as in sickle cell disease/trait, juvenile-onset diabetes, Eales disease, etc.
- Circumscribed and diffuse choroidal hemangioma
- Retinal capillary hemangioma (von Hippel lesions) and cavernous hemangioma
- Choroidal granuloma
- Congenital hypertrophy of the retinal pigment epithelium
- Choroidal osteoma
- Combined hamartoma
No matter how common or how complex your child's condition may be, we approach each patient with the highest level of individual attention, consideration, and evaluation. Our depth of experience and collective expertise allows us to personalize the treatment techniques appropriate for each individual.